Thursday, February 13, 2020

Student Loan Debt, Free College - Angry Dad Confronts Warren

February 14, 2020
Angry dad rips Elizabeth Warren over student loan plan: 'Am I going to get my money back?' - OF COURSE NOT!!!!
This Dad is spot on and this question is for all you politicians wanting to buy votes from young students who have no idea what is to live in a word where you pay mortgage, car and other debts.
Angrydadripswarren
In fact, I am waiting for a politician to offer to remove my 30 year old home mortgage debt and my car debt. They both strap me financially. What is the difference? The difference is I did what this Dad did and saved and sacrificed to help my children with college. They still have debt but they also have jobs to pay for them just like I did for my debts.

Here is another insane idea!
Ilhan Omar Pushes 'Truly Ignorant Idea': Give GI Bill Benefits to Americans Who Never Served https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/02/rep-ilhan-omar-wants-gi-bill-for-all-americans/
I went to college on the GI Bill and I earned it for my service. It was not free! Later (After Vietnam) they changed the Bill (I don't agree) and each veteran can put money in to an account and the government will also add money for college. I also "WORKED" for a company that offered tuition assistance and along with the GI Bill I earned three degrees and multiple certifications.

Below is a post I wrote last March on Student Debt.

March 2019,
While I do not have student loan debt both of my children do because they needed them for Graduate degrees. My wife and I were fortunate to pay for their bachelor degrees but it was up to them to pay for additional schooling. In order for me to pay for their undergrad degrees at Michigan State (9+ years for two) I refinanced my house. So my debt when in to my home and I am still paying off my mortgage. This was my decision and I'm paying it off in additional years of mortgage payments. If the Democrats want to cancel current studnet debt or reduce it by $50,000 then I want my house paid off too. 

According to a new report (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-student-debt-serious-delinquency-140103419.html), outstanding student loan debt continues to rise and now stands at $1.46 trillion. The alarming stat is student debt delinquency. Apparently, about 11 percent of student debt is 90 days delinquent or in default. The most alarming age group transitioning into this category at the fastest pace is 40-to-49-year old’s; that’s partly because of parents borrowing to pay their children’s educational expenses. This is very dangerous especially for students who attend For Profit Higher Learning Institutions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_for-profit_universities_and_colleges).

My biggest complaint
is the cost of tuition continues to rise, and colleges and universities don't seem to want to deal with the increasing cost of tuition. In fact, why should they? People continue to pay it and state and federal dollars keep giving them money with no means of checking accountability.

According to the National Center for Educational Statistics - the number of students projected to attend American colleges and universities in fall 2018 is 19.9 million, which is higher than the enrollment of 15.3 million students in fall 2000, but lower than the enrollment peak of 21.0 million in fall 2010 (source). Total enrollment is expected to increase between fall 2018 and fall 2027 to 20.5 million.
With the economy doing well and many employers needing workers my hope is people will once again be given on the job training or vocational training assistance that does not require a 4+ year degree. This will drive the traditional 4-year colleges to cut their expenses and many to close which should because they guarantee nothing other than student debt that comes with many negative tentacles for the student going forward in their lives.
A leading student financial aid expert Mark Kantrowitz estimates that more than 25% of borrowers are graduating with "excessive" debt. He explains that this debt load significantly influences how many borrowers live their lives. "I also found that students who graduate with excessive debt are about 10% more likely to say that it caused delays in major life events, such [as] buying a home, getting married, or having children," Kantrowitz wrote.
Mr. Kantrowitz is right on – While my son (Mid 30’s) has a good job he does not own a home, is not married and has no children. These are the negative tentacles that are hurting the future growth of the United States.


More statistics - https://studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/

Reduce College Debt - My solution is to have all College Administrators and staff reduce their salaries based on the success rates of their students finding jobs after graduation. Stop all construction of new buildings (Especially Athletic) that can not prove to help students get proper training and jobs.

Free College - Not sure this can be done but if we could this would eliminate the high cost of administrative salaries. In addition, lower the salaries for the coaches and bring back the true nature of "amateur" college athletics. Go to the pros if you want the money (Coaches and Players).

No comments: