DOWN ON THE CORNERSITE
I am devoting this Misc section of my Blog to recommend some information sites that are considered classics by the “qualityg says …” readers, and some that I believe will help a wide range of folks.
1) http://www.zabasearch.com/ - may display your personal info!! – I put mine and my brother’s in (full name, middle initial and state) and behold it came back with our information. To drop your name from the list you must Email Zaba at email@example.com. Special Thanks to Mike Wendland (Detroit Free Press). Flash – while writing this blog I just received a “long” Email back from Zaba the Hut telling me what else I need to do to remove my info, I replied back not so nicely and the next Email is going to the Michigan State Attorney General – Mike Cox. Make sure you click on “terms” – before you send Email, this will tell you what to send them. It also supplies a link to other sites that may include your personal information.
2) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ - It’s a search engine that combines a dictionary, encyclopedia and thesaurus in one.
3) http://mikesejournal.com/ - Since I promote much of Mike Wendland’s column I wanted to post it here for your PC and Tech information. This is one great site for help and getting the latest up to date information on new products. Mike tests many of the products before recommending. For those of you not in Michigan, and may not be familiar with Mike’s column in the Detroit Free Press, I urge to take a look and bookmark.
4) http://www.thevisionthing.com/ - Great site for interesting articles, debates between bloggers and links to other blog sites. If you're new to blogging there are a number of ideas and examples to help get you started.
5) http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?OfficeSpaceMovie - I would be remiss to not mention this movie since it is considered by qualityg’s PTM Gang to be the best movie about “Office Politics” and crazy employees (like us). Ten times better than the new show on NBC – “The Starter.” You will be surprised at some of the stars from other shows that are in this movie (i.e., Friends, Drew Carey, West Wing, etc). Often shown on the Bravo cable network.
5) http://deming.org/ - The ultimate site for the teachings of Dr. W. Edwards Deming.
6) http://www.takemefishing.org/ - Great site for the experienced angler and those just starting out fishing. Put in your Zip Code and find the best places to fish in your area. Print free instructions on how to catch and clean fish, and sign up for a newsletter. Not sure the best place to go in another state? It's a click away that links you to rentals, boat ramps, marinas and more.
10 1/2 lb Walleye , caught by Mike P - April 2005, picture by Mike D.
7) http://www.toddparr.com/todd.html - This is a great site for creativity and illustration and art. It's also what I call a person who hates four letter words like "Can't and Quit." Here is a man that in high school received an "F" for a self-portrait. His art work was never displayed on the hallways like the other kids. Through discouragement by many, including his parents he still had the fortitude to live his dream and bring happiness to many others. He also has a show on the discovery channel.
8) www.mel.org - Great site (Michigan Elibrary) for everyone, especially those of us living in Michigan. Provides information and practice test for many state civil service jobs, professional exams (fire and police), School -- > GED, SAT, and the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) prperation tests. You will need your Michigan Drivers License Number to Log In.
9) http://www.freakonomics.com/blog.php - Blog site for Steve Levitt and Stephen Dunbar co-authors of the best seller (highly recommended by qg) - "Freakonomics." No telling what subject will be covered (i.e., If you like baby names, you will love this, We'd like to put some Freak into the game of poker and Why the Black Sox? ).
10) http://phantomprof.blogspot.com/ - I frequent this site often to read tales about grades in school. The author being a writing professor adds to the posts with a unique and entertaining style. While you all know that qualityg does not like grades, this site helps with my assumptions. Read about ridiculous parents and non-supporting administrators (and you know how I feel about those SOBs).
11) http://refdesk.com/ - RB --> sent me this site, all the major search engines on one page, reference facts and sites, history, etc....