“GROW” - Partnership Coaching/Planning
The following guidelines can be used by a manager, team leader, or group, for conducting a coaching or planning session.
G = Goals
1) What would we like to accomplish in the time we have available?
2) What would make this time well spent?
3) What would ultimate success look like to you ?
R = Current Reality - describes as accurately as possible the current situation.
1) How do you know your perception of “X” is accurate?
What tells you that is the case?
2) Whom else might we check with to get more data/information about the larger perspective?
3) What have you tried so far?
4) What are your beliefs about this situation?
O = Options - options for potential actions without judging the ideas merit or practicality, initial focus is on “quantity” not quality of options. Quality comes later as you reduce options down.
1) If money, time or resources were no obstacle, what option might you choose?
2) What might some “Sky The Limits” options look like?
3) Who else could help?
4) May I (we) offer some options that were thought of while you were describing your options?
W = What’s Next
1) What are you going to do and by when?
2) What’s next? What steps are involved?
3) How might you minimize/remove the barriers/obstacles?
4) What are the contingencies if you can’t remove the barriers?
5) How will you monitor performance and collect data for feedback over time for predictability?
6) On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you that we will do this?